On 01Feb2013 21:20, Derek Martin <inva...@pizzashack.org> wrote:
| On Fri, Feb 01, 2013 at 09:10:46PM -0600, Derek Martin wrote:
| > On Sat, Feb 02, 2013 at 11:20:37AM +1100, Cameron Simpson wrote:
| > > Given that they're both Maildirs on the same filesystem, why doesn't mutt
| > > take this more efficient (both in time and disc space) approach? Just
naive
| > > use of an existing "save-message" library routine.
| >
| > I find your surprise to be very surprising. :)
| >
| >  - Copy = actual copy... implies multiple physical copies, which you
| >    don't get with hard links
|
| Or, to say it another way (from the manual):
|
|    <save-message> s save message/attachment to a mailbox/file
|
| ln != save-message.  Even if all your mailboxes are maildir.  But FWIW
| one of the things I've been preaching for years is that Mutt's UI
| should not behave differently based on the message store.  If your
| mail folders are mbox, making a hard link is completely nonsensical,
| and mutt's behavior ideally should be consistent regardless of the
| back end storage format.

ln doesn't change the UI behaviour.

Just because mbox _forces_ a wasteful copy doesn't imply maildir should
behave the same way. Speaking for myself, if messages have the same
message-id I expect them to be essentially equivalent. I don't require
them to be distinct files/copies.

As remarked elsewhere, mutt's capable of a server-side IMAP move
message. Nothing says whether that's a copy or a hard link behind the
scenes.

I agree there should be some user choice here; there may be people who
rely on distinct copies. But they're not me, and it is an unnecessarily
slow way to do things with maildirs.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <c...@zip.com.au>

As you can see, unraveling even a small part of 'sendmail' can introduce more
complexity than answers.        - Brian Costales, _sendmail_