On Sat, Feb 02, 2013 at 06:17:10PM +1100, Cameron Simpson wrote:

[snip]

> I agree there should be some user choice here; there may be people who
> rely on distinct copies. But they're not me, and it is an unnecessarily
> slow way to do things with maildirs.

I do rely on distinct copies for certain things.  I sure hope that any
new hard link behavior would be an option, and not turned on by default.

Just an example: sometimes I like to "normalize" a maildir so that
the file modtimes are set to the "date sent" filed of the messages
themselves.  Right now, if I recall correctly, mutt does this
automatically with "s".  If the hardlink way were forced upon me, then
the copies would not have their filemodtimes set in this way, since they
would have to have the same mod times as the files they're hardlinked
to.  And (if I recall correctly) I couldn't just use
";C"-followed-by-delete instead, because (even if that weren't a pain)
when using ";C" mutt didn't normalize the file modtimes.

Come to think of it, I'm on IMAP almost all of the time and I *never*
use ";s" locally *except* when I want its behavior to be the way it
currently is.

In short, have it be an option if it gets done :)

Cheers,
Jack