On 05Jan2014 14:55, Richard Z <r...@linux-m68k.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 05, 2014 at 08:48:50AM +1100, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> > AND:... All the local systems that send email (eg cron and innumerable
> > shell scripts) can send email via the UNIX standard "sendmail"
> > executable.
> >
> > Use a real mail system locally. A win.
>
> unless you try to do something like multiple email providers for one user
> which is very easy to do with anything but sendmail/postfix/exim.

Well, I have two answers to that.

The first is that for postfix (assuming it isn't just doing direct
SMTP itself, which any real mail system can), is that a reconfig
involves modifying the "relayhost" setting in /etc/postfix/main.cf
and running "postfix reload". Sendmail is similarly trivial. Any
of GNU sed, perl or my patch-config script will all batch edit
simple changes like that in a single command line.

The second is that I run persistent ssh tunnels to a home server.
(obviously offline when offline); my relayhost is "127.0.0.1:1025".
That almost never needs adjusting.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <c...@zip.com.au>

I am returning this otherwise good typing paper to you because someone has
printed gibberish all over it and put your name at the top.
        - English Professor, Ohio University