On Sun, Jan 05, 2014 at 10:55:22PM +0100, Richard Z wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 05, 2014 at 09:16:02AM -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> > * Richard Z <r...@linux-m68k.org> [01-05-14 08:57]:
> >  [...]
> > > unless you try to do something like multiple email providers for one
> > > user which is very easy to do with anything but sendmail/postfix/exim.
> > > I have done this on all three and got tired, after every system upgrade
> > > some incompatible change breaks it and even the most basic smarthost
> > > configuration stops working, not to mention the multiple accounts which
> > > always required some configuration acrobatics.
> >
> > I have been doing this for *many* years with miniminal intervention across
> > many versions of linux, mostly SuSE/openSUSE w/o problems using
> > postfix/fetchmail/procmail/spamassassin.  Postfix and/or most other mta's
> > also provide the use of rbl's to help minimize spam.
>
> your or mine spam filter is not the problem. The problem is when you pipe
> email
> through a local postfix/exim MTA it will attach received headers with the
> domain
> name and IP, quite often a domain name and IPs that is not even valid.
> The mail than goes through the smarthost - and this combination easily looks
> suspicious to certain stupid spam filters of the destination provider.

No, that's not 'the problem' with piping outgoing e-mail through a
sensible MTA like postfix. The problem you're describing occurs when
1) not configuring your MTA (postfix) for proper relaying, and 2) not
configuring your MUA (mutt) correctly.

Mutt, for example, when properly configured will use a FQDN (fully
qualified domain name) as your "From:" header - which a properly
configured MTA will pass on to a real SMTP server for delivery.

The SMTP RFC says nothing about having private network ranges or
unqualified (non-FQDN) domain names, such as "laptop.local", in your
message "Received:" headers - however I can imagine some anti spam
solutions will get suspicious when encountering messages with no
routable IPs _at all_...

But we're talking relaying of SMTP, not delivering directly.

-- kchr

|_|O|_|
|_|_|O|  Kim Christensen
() ascii ribbon campain - against html e-mail