Hi,
Several months ago I upgraded mutt to v 1.5.2.1 from the previous
release.
I compiled from the tarball using the
-enable pop  -enable imap with sasl
options.
After this upgrade and using my previously working .muttrc files both
for
fastmail and another private email server, mutt returned
"SASL authentication failed" upon sending.

The previous version worked.
The sasl libraries were installed.
this was on fedora 7

Struggled with this problem making small changes to the rc files, even
removed mutt and re-installed previous version, no luck.

I then changed to latest debian wheezy migrating the .muttrc files for
fastmail and the private server.

Same results, sasl authentication failed on both while sending.
Here are I hope appropriate lines from my .muttfastmailrc file, some of
this
supplied by a helpfull person on this list a year or more ago.
Removed my password of course.

I'm tempted to dump the rc files and start with the new sample from the
new
install, but before I do that maybe somebody has a more productive
approach.

One question I can't answer, among many! is:
the new install has the
sasl2 libraries
will mutt recognize that version and how do i know if that's happening
properly?

Follows hopefully helpfull lines from .muttfastmailrc

Note: now using fastmail's web interface for sending, HATE IT!!!!!!!!!
Another note, using the speakup speech screen reader and a braille
display
which work properly.
I've left in some commented out lines  as examples from which I started.
# Mail/SMTP/IMAP Settings
#

set my_server=mail.messagingengine.com
#set my_smtp_server=mail.messagingengine.com:465
set my_user=wa6iv...@fastmail.fm
set my_pass = ""

set header_cache=~/.mutt/hcache/fastmail

#set imap_user=$my_user
#set imap_pass = $my_pass
set imap_user = wa6iv...@fastmail.fm
set imap_pass = "4"
#
# SMTP server to relay to
# NOTE: to get this to work, I had to install the libsasl2-modules
package
#set smtp_url ="smtps://$my_user:$my_pass@$my_smtp_server:465/"
set smtp_url = "smtps://wa6iv...@mail.messagingengine.com:realpass:465/"

  Tom Fowle