Hi,

I set a wrong password and set the smtp authentication to cram-md5.

Here is, what i think, is the relevant part of the muttdebug file, attached.

Thanks,

Russ
On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 05:03:35AM -0700, Alexander Gattin wrote:
> Hello,
>

> 5< 500 5.7.0 Unknown AUTH error -1 (Internal
> authentication error).
>
> As I can see, verison's SMTP server fails with a
> 500 "Internal authentication error".
>
> Can you deliberately feed it a wrong password and
> show us what the answer will be?
>
> Most probably, with DIGEST-MD5 a reply would be
> the same whatever the password is, so you would
> have to restrict AUTH to CRAM-MD5 in order to
> check for the wrong password reply.

509_verify_cert: unable to get local issuer certificate (20)

 [/C=US/ST=Texas/L=Irving/O=Verizon Data Services LLC/OU=SLB
Mail/CN=smtp.verizon.net]
ssl chain: checked by signer: /C=US/O=GTE Corporation/OU=GTE CyberTrust
Solutions, Inc./CN=GTE CyberTrust Global Root
trusted: /C=US/O=GTE Corporation/OU=GTE CyberTrust Solutions, Inc./CN=GTE
CyberTrust Global Root
Connected to smtp.verizon.net:465 on fd=5

5< 220 vms173025pub.verizon.net -- Server ESMTP (Sun Java(tm) System Messaging
Server 7u2-7.02 32bit (built Apr 16 20
09))

5> EHLO verizon.net

5< 250-vms173025pub.verizon.net

5< 250-8BITMIME

5< 250-PIPELINING

5< 250-CHUNKING

5< 250-DSN

5< 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES

5< 250-HELP

5< 250-XLOOP 909D1845605982A0426FBB076A98755C

5< 250-AUTH DIGEST-MD5 PLAIN LOGIN CRAM-MD5

5< 250-AUTH=LOGIN PLAIN

5< 250-ETRN

5< 250-NO-SOLICITING

5< 250 SIZE 20971520

smtp_authenticate: Trying method cram-md5
SASL local ip: 192.168.2.97;54792, remote ip:206.46.232.100;465

External SSF: 256

External authentication name: russurquhart1

5> AUTH CRAM-MD5

5< 334 PDQ1NjA4NDI4MC4xNjczNDAyQHZtczE3MzAyNT4=

mutt_sasl_cb_authname: getting authname for smtp.verizon.net:465

mutt_sasl_cb_pass: getting password for russurquha...@smtp.verizon.net:465

5> cnVzc3VycXVoYXJ0MSA0MWNiZGM0MzY0NDkyMTdkNjdhOTg2M2UwMTI2ZDA2Mg==

5< 500 5.7.0 Unknown AUTH error -1 (Internal authentication error).

SASL authentication failed

sendlib.c:2491: mutt_mktemp returns
"/var/folders/Vt/VtOiaMCkEfua-mwEHMlHbE+++TM/-Tmp-//mutt-Macintosh-502-21817-3".

mutt_free_body: Unlinking
/var/folders/Vt/VtOiaMCkEfua-mwEHMlHbE+++TM/-Tmp-//muttRtelMm.

is_from(): parsing: russurquha...@verizon.net Wed Apr  3 22:54:45 2013

is_from(): got return path: russurquha...@verizon.net

is_from(): month=3, day=3, hr=22, min=54, sec=45, yr=113.

parse_parameters: `boundary="ZmUaFz6apKcXQszQ"'

parse_parameter: `boundary' = `ZmUaFz6apKcXQszQ'

read_rfc822_header(): no date found, using received time from msg separator

is_from(): parsing: russurquha...@verizon.net Sat Sep 29 15:38:58 2012

is_from(): got return path: russurquha...@verizon.net

is_from(): month=8, day=29, hr=15, min=38, sec=58, yr=112.

parse_parameters: `charset=us-ascii'

parse_parameter: `charset' = `us-ascii'

read_rfc822_header(): no date found, using received time from msg separator

is_from(): parsing: russurquha...@verizon.net Tue Apr  8 16:41:29 2014

is_from(): got return path: russurquha...@verizon.net

is_from(): month=3, day=8, hr=16, min=41, sec=29, yr=114.

parse_parameters: `charset=us-ascii'

parse_parameter: `charset' = `us-ascii'

read_rfc822_header(): no date found, using received time from msg separator

is_from(): parsing: russurquha...@verizon.net Sat Sep 13 08:06:55 2014

is_from(): got return path: russurquha...@verizon.net

is_from(): month=8, day=13, hr=8, min=6, sec=55, yr=114.

parse_parameters: `charset=us-ascii'

parse_parameter: `charset' = `us-ascii'

is_from(): parsing: russurquha...@verizon.net Wed Sep 17 08:11:00 2014

is_from(): got return path: russurquha...@verizon.net

is_from(): month=8, day=17, hr=8, min=11, sec=0, yr=114.

parse_parameters: `charset=us-ascii'

parse_parameter: `charset' = `us-ascii'

read_rfc822_header(): no date found, using received time from msg separator

mutt_index_menu[605]: Got op 145