* On 20 Jun 2015, Chuck Martin wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 20, 2015 at 08:49:36PM +1000, Erik Christiansen wrote:
> > form. If it is the:
> >
> > "Ian> .....
> >  Herbet> ... "
> >
> > form, than that's no harder than following a straight line. I've never
> > heard of that being deprecated, though I've only encountered it rarely
> > in list posts.
>
> Actually, that can be ambiguous.  For example:

> Herbet> ...
> Herbet> ...

Yes, this is one of my points in the (yes, flip) example I gave.
Conventional SuperCite style gives only one level of quoting, which not
only fails to provide appropriate context to a conversation that is
several generations deep, but also *removes* such context when others
have kept it.  It destroys information that people have taken care to
preserve.

But trying to keep that by using multiple> layers> of> quoting> in
SuperCite style gets unbearable in a text-only medium by making the
quote indicators themselves a majority of the content.

GNUS users have amended this situation by changing from full names,
something like this:

Ian> Herbet> Ian> Herbet> ...

to initials only:

>>> IZ == "Ian Zimmerman"
>>> HA == "Herbet Andersen"

This is a little less ridiculous but still a bit of a chore to read. But
regardless, the truth remains that how we quote email is a train that's
been accelerating for decades.  Turning it around now means fighting a
lot of inertia, and it's not going to get done on this mailing list.
That was my other point.

--
David Champion • d...@bikeshed.us