On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 06:08:13AM -0400, Peter P. wrote:
> I send mail with mutt and msmtp. Apparently the "Date:" header of the
> sent mail shows my current timezone to the receiver, which I would like
> to avoid.

As others have hinted, this is a waste of your energy.  Your time zone
narrows down your location to an area that's (very) roughly about
15,000,000 square miles.  By contrast, the e-mail system records each
hop in received headers, which gives your IP address and reliably
identifies the geographical region your mail originated from (usually
your personal system, but at very least your mail gateway), quite
possibly down to the neighborhood level.  You have bigger fish to fry.

Even if your mail gateway does not add a received header to indicate
where you connected to it from, a motivated attacker can probably get
that info easily enough, and an unmotivated attacker won't even look.
So this gets you nothing, really.  It only protects you from people
who aren't really looking anyway.

-=-=-=-=-