On 24Mar16 11:51 +1100, m...@raf.org wrote:
> Cameron Simpson wrote:

> > >Aside from the Received: header that was already mentioned upthread, Mutt
> > >can add headers when it sends meil that you don't see in compose mode. I
> > >don't think it's a proof of anything that you don't see it.
> >
> > How irritating.

Is it? Besides Date: mutt adds many more when actually sending. Think
about mime, charset, msgid, ...

> but it makes sense for the Date: header not to be present when composing the
> email. it hasn't been sent yet. it might get postpone, or it might take a
> lot of time to write, etc. it makes sense for it to be added when it is sent
> and not before. perhaps if you put your own Date: header in while composing,
> mutt would not replace it.

In fact mutt replaces any Date: header. Play around with a simple
sendmail= script [1] and you can see what mutt pipes towards the mta.

  1: http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/manual.html#toc6.3

Cheers,
--
Bastian