On Sun, Oct 20, 2019 at 09:25:46AM +0100, Nuno Silva wrote:
> On 2019-10-19, José María Mateos wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 19 Oct 2019 19:17:06 +0100 Chris Green <c...@isbd.net> wrote:
> >> Running 'evince ~/.mitt/fred.pdf' displays the PDF file successfully
> >> but running 'evince ~/.mutt/fred.pdf' produces a Permission Denied
> >> message in a pop-up window.  All directory names I have tried other
> >> than .mutt allow the PDF file to be read.
> >>
> >> Has anyone else here seen anything like this?  It would seem that it's
> >> an error in evince but of some relevance to mutt use.
> >
> > I can't reproduce this on my end. I copied a PDF file in my ~/.mutt
> > directory and all these options work:
> >
> > $ evince test.pdf (from inside ~/.mutt)
> > $ evince .mutt/test.pdf (from my home directory)
> > $ evince ~/.mutt/test.pdf (same)
> >
> > Cheers,
>
> Any chance this is the same issue Marcelo Laia reported earlier this
> year?
>
> (see the thread starting with Message-ID:
> <20190118120629.GE5678@localhost>, from 2019-01-18)
>
> In that case, evince was being started from mutt, and the issue happened
> with other applications as well.
>

> URL of a web copy of the mentioned thread, at marc.info:
> https://marc.info/?t=154781327600002&r=1&w=2

It's not exactly the same but I guess there might be a connection.  My
error occurs whether evince is called from within mutt or not, I hit
the error when I tried to move mutt's temporary directory from /tmp to
~/.mutt/tmp.  However, as I reported, I then discovered that evince
(and only evince as far as I can tell) gives permission denied for any
file in (or below) a .mutt directory.

... and I have just tried the (newer) PDF viewer atril, that works.

So "evince ~/.mutt/fred.pdf" gives a Permission Denied error, but
"atril ~/.mutt/fred.pdf" displays the file.  Very strange!

--
Chris Green