On Tue, Nov 05, 2019 at 07:30:16PM +0100, Richard Z wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 05, 2019 at 09:31:27AM -0500, Mark H. Wood wrote:
>
> > Anyway, a good place to read up on xterm might be
> > https://invisible-island.net/xterm/
> > That version of xterm still gets updates several times a year.  xterm
> > is neither obsolete nor unsupported, just unloved by some distro.s.
>
> absolutely. All replacements I have ever tried had some or many issues.

This used to be true for me as well, but gnome-terminal eventually
became good enough, and had better handling of multiple character sets
(not in the technical sense, but rather the sense of where the set of
characters came from, e.g. CJK, Latin, etc. since they're all one
Unicode character set).

> And while 25 years ago xterm was considered a true heavyweight among
> terminal emulators, the lack of "improvement" since that means it is
> probably the most lightweight choice today.

I don't think Thomas (Dickey, maintainer of xterm who also hangs out
here) would entirely agree with that characterization. ;-)

-=-=-=-=-