On Mon, Nov 04, 2019 at 08:01:29PM -0600, Derek Martin wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 01, 2019 at 12:21:15PM +1300, martin f krafft wrote:
[snip]
> > but in addition to viewing HTML messages, I (and others who have
> > added to this thread) would like a way to reply without losing the
> > formatting.
> >
> > The viewing side isn't so hot either. Most terminal programs
> > these days can display colors, italics, bold, underline and
> > strikethrough (looks like urxvt doesn't do strikethrough and xterm
> > doesn't do underline,
>
> Xterm most definitely does underline, though you may need to set a
> resource to make it do that. I vaguely recall that some text formats
> are rendered using colors or reverse text *by default* but can be made
> to do the more correct thing via X resources.  I just don't recall
> the specifics... But underline absolutely works, and I can provide a
> link to an image if you're not convinced, but suffice it to say, I
> just did it.  IIRC italics is the harder thing, as you have to set up
> X resources for the italics font face to use, or something like
> that... but it all works.
>
> Hardly anyone uses xterm these days though AFAICT, and configuring it
> properly has become a lost art.  In fact, quite a few years ago now, I
> filed a bug against xterm in some version of Fedora or even Red Hat,
> and Red Hat's support people closed the ticket, complaining that xterm
> was obsolete and no longer supported.  (!!!)

Heh, I learned years ago that my true middle name is either "nobody"
or "hardly anyone".  I've (recently!) had up to a dozen xterms going
at once (on multiple FVWM virtual desktops) shepherding large bundles
of updates on a number of servers concurrently, and tend to keep
several open in different contexts when developing.

Anyway, a good place to read up on xterm might be
https://invisible-island.net/xterm/
That version of xterm still gets updates several times a year.  xterm
is neither obsolete nor unsupported, just unloved by some distro.s.

`man xterm` has a long section under RESOURCES which describes all of
the many adjustable behaviors.  You might begin by looking at
'colorULMode'.

Sorry, I have no specific advice -- I got my xterm set up years ago
and haven't touched the settings in a long time.

--
Mark H. Wood
Lead Technology Analyst

University Library