When linux or unix software will produce errors in this case a command
like:
mutt 2>&1|tee mutt.log
will produce mutt.log where all output from the command including errors
will be captured.
If more than a single run is needed:
mutt 2>&1|tee -a mutt.log
will append output to mutt.log.
The 2>&1 redirects stderr to stdout so tee can catch it for you.
Cleaner than running script since ansi codes don't get included.
For graphics software where ansi is both desired and important your best
bet is to use script rather than tee to catch output input and errors.

-- Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com> "There are four boxes to be used in
defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that
order." Ed Howdershelt 1940.