On Thursday, 8 November 2012 11:16:49 UTC-5, Malibu wrote:

> Web based services are the technical junk food of the 21st century. It is
> so enticing to embrace them but look at the articles popping up about
> cyberspying, and we are just seeing the tip of the iceberg. Your company's
> intellectual property deserves protection which can only come from
> relentless patching, audit trails, and a guarantee to you the consumer that
> the information you put in that service is and will always remain yours.
> There also needs to be real penalties when security is breached that are in
> line with damages caused and the service should be able to demonstrate
> monthly that it has not yet occurred. All these things can easily double or
> triple cost.
>
> If all these things are not in place then you are really just putting your
> property out there on the hope that you are anonymous enough so as not to
> attract the wrong kind of attention. My company has very strict rules about
> using in house services only and I am absolutely sure many more will
> follow.
>
> Is that a hornets nest that MLO wants?

This is all FUD and a red herring.

All is true, web interface or not. Web has nothing to do with it. It's true
now (with the non-web application, let alone Android - demonstrating that
we're already there that you're warning against).

If it's on a computer, it's at risk. Deal.

If our heinies are already hanging out, and they are, let's at least
conveniently hang ourselves out to dry, with a java version.