Which version are you using, John (Windows, Android, iOS)?

I agree with Dwight that one way of achieving this would be to use Contexts
as described.   Another option would be to use the hierarchy - create top
level items for each Area of Focus and then create Projects and Tasks under
each of these as appropriate.

You can then use the Zoom facility to Zoom into a particular area of focus
by selecting the top level Task and selecting Zoom (Ctrl+R).  The Zoom
works in both the hierarchical and ToDo views - but you would have to
select the Top Level item in a hierarchical view and then switch to a To Do.

You could also use this approach (or the Context approach) in conjunction
with the Workspaces functionality to create separate tabs for each Area of
Focus.

 The above applies to the Windows version - I don't currently use MLO on my
mobile.

Hope this helps

Richard

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/335747c4-0244-4758-8551-31518da59af6%40googlegroups.com.