John: I'm having a problem with this thread because it has too many open
issues. This takes something away from the usefulness of the forum for
other users because the result is that a discussion that could be helpful
to someone else (eg how to keep certain contexts out of the to-do list) is
hidden in the postscripts of some other discussion (eg how to manage an
area of focus). So I'm going to respond here to your area of focus question
and start new threads for answers to your postscripts.

Using nested contexts, as I suggested, is useful if your areas of focus are
isomorphic to your contexts, that is, they fall in the same general
structure. Your areas of focus are orthogonal to your contexts, that is
they go in a different suggestion. In this case I agree with the posts from
Richard, Andrei and Pottster that your areas of focus should probably be
the basis for your outline structure. So your outline would have top level
branches like work, relationships, etc and there might be a next level of
branches for each job, each relationship, or whatever. Then, contexts would
represent what kind of task, or what you need to do the task, or whatever.
You would use context filtering to select tasks relevant to the tools you
have and the place you are, and use zoom-in to select the area of focus.

Does this sound right to you? Note that you can build a view with a
particular zoom built into it, and save it in a tab for easy access.
-Dwight

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/5fe1049a-4e7d-4898-bd1c-36c56315e1d6%40googlegroups.com.