The original language of GTD is loose enough that ‘context’ is just a
distinction you make between different types of tasks to make your lists
smaller and easier so you don’t feel overwhelmed, and to put similar things in
the same space so you can do one after another if they have similar
requirements to get down. The way the David Allen company has continued
coaching it is entirely in line with that too. ‘Waiting For’ and ‘Someday
Maybe’ are both used as contexts to them. I’m not concerned with what is or
isn’t GTD, but if you’re going to talk about GTD, it’s always been that way,
and they’ve always been open about that. If you’re not using entirely separate
flat lists, ‘context’ is just a tag meant to organize data on another level
that isn’t hierarchy. Plenty of people now use energy levels and time as
contexts as mentioned.

I personal don’t find it hard to enter contexts because I keep their names
short, and their numbers few. You can have a context that for you means “things
I would like to considering doing someday,” or “things I would only like to do
when I’m tired,” but you don’t have to name them in that way. I’ve varied over
the years, but I tag things I’m waiting for with ‘@w’ or just a ‘w’. If it’s
something that won’t take any brain power to do, I consider it shallow work and
use @s or s. All of my contexts work like that, and I don’t have too many
because that usually serves as ways of hiding things so I don’t see them, which
is the opposite of effectively managing and making decisions on them. I also
don’t do ‘someday’ in contexts because anything not on a todo view or with a
context is a pipe dream, and if it isn’t, I’ll just tag it and have it show up
when it should based on date or sequence or dependency. I’ve actually found it
better to store that stuff outside of MLO because at that point it’s just
reference notes and past thinking, though MLO’s Markdown support and potential
for a ‘note’ designation may bring it back in for me. Having contexts parse out
as things are typed is simple in this case, as is clicking on a context to
assign it to one or more tasks. Moving it under an existing task with that
context also works, and in the very off chance it doesn’t, you just change the
context of that task.

And to Dwight: I wouldn’t consider you trying to discuss things with people as
defensive. If people bring up issues and requests on a public forum, discussing
them is kind of the point. That is the only point of a forum. That is what a
forum is. Discussing something doesn’t mean blindly agreeing with it or leaving
it unexamined. If someone said they’d like MLO to have a field for ‘dogs’ in
it, the best response probably wouldn’t be “sure thing! We’ll add it to the
list,” particularly not if that user went on for 4 or more years saying MLO was
silly and unacceptable and stupidly clumsy for not having implemented the ‘dog’
feature that made no sense and had no real utility, and was requested by a user
that by their own admission no longer used the program. If that user wasn’t
willing to take half a second to tag something with ‘dog’, they also apparently
don’t value their desired ‘dog’ functionality very much. Bending the
development team over backwards to add in dog-like functionality seems like a
waste of resources, and trying to discuss that first would appear to be the
more fruitful course of action than burning more time and money.

Best,

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/cf096155-7c67-4a47-a36d-4d28cee090af%40googlegroups.com.