A few details that may help:
- All of the apps I've seen keep the current "pro" level features free
forever
- You can always stop paying and then the app reverts to the free version
- I've only been using Fantastical for 6 months, but am amazed at the rate
new features appear. They now have a whole calendly like product built into
fantastical - so my subscription to one product saves me the cost of another
- The Android and iOS apps have always seemed to suffer because they only
get sporadic love, a steady revenue stream would allow Andrey to put
consistent effort into them, which should speed the product cycle.
- I feel by paying a small subscription I ensure the developer has an
incentive to keep the app going forever vs the apps I've seen where I pay
$10 once and bugs are never fixed or worse the app goes away (my workout
tracking app_

(I'm sure some of my viewpoint comes from my professional work where I'm
clients do Continuous Delivery and Continuous Discovery)

Cheers
Mark