From: "Neil Davis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2001 6:58 PM

> Guys,
>
> Amen. When I was 13 and got my first commodore 64, I decided to teach
myself
> BASIC. All I had was the manual. (the MySQL manual is the library of

<snip>

> If it is documented somewhere, and can be produced by searching, there is
> not an excuse for not using that readily available knowledge. If that
sounds
> elitist, or sounds unreasonable, I am sorry. I was shaped by my
environment.
> I admin that sometimes I transgress out of panic and usually quickly get
> corrected, but I don't cry about it; I remember where I am, why I am here,
> and solve the problem with the available information. I still haven't been
> beat by a problem.

Well said. One of the most important thing I learned on the Computer Science
education I took was not a specific programming language or certain
algorithms.

It was the ability to gain knowledge that I did not already have. To seek
out documentation and other people's written experience and learn from that.

I've tried to be on the teaching end of the classroom now (database
programming), and yes, I've experienced those who ask about a problem before
they've tried themselves. I've also had some of those who seek to exhaust
other posibilities before asking (you really can tell the difference when
they ask). It was the latter who had really moved in skill when we reached
examination.

- Carsten