Guys,

Amen. When I was 13 and got my first commodore 64, I decided to teach myself
BASIC. All I had was the manual. (the MySQL manual is the library of
congress compared to this manual!) There simply were no other resources for
me since I couldn't afford a modem until 2 years later, when I got a 300
baud modem, and had no idea of where to find a book about Commodore BASIC,
so I used the Commodore manual and the books at the library to interpolate
answers.

Then, it was a matter of first, finding a BBS, then finding at least one
other BBS that might have a list, until I found one that had a large list of
other BBS's. On some of these were lists and forums much like this one. When
I got an answer for where I might find a resource about my programming
problem, I went to the library and checked out the book, or begged my mom
for the 20 bucks to buy the book if it was not available at the library. No
one ever gave me the answers. I figured that this was the way it was, so
went with the flow... and wrote my programs.

The amount of information available now, is simply astounding. Not only
that, if people would bother to learn to use a search engine first, they
would have no problems finding the answers. Nothing can compare to the
specific results found by a correctly executed search on a clean index such
as Altavista. I only post a question to a list when all other resources have
been exhausted and my frustration with trying to hack the answer is
overwhelming.

I still have a great deal to learn, always will, but am learning at a very
rapid pace, rarely needing the response of others, even with a new
programming language, thanks to this resource that we call the world wide
web. Some, not all, young programmers/db people today have no idea how cushy
they have it. Some dive right into the internet or get a book and find the
answer, others want it handed to them. The former will feel a sense of
empowerment (that is justified), the latter will have never-ending
frustration.

Where I try to be compassionate, is undocumented or buggy stuff. I am more
than willing to share. That is when experience should be called on. People
need to realize that most of us are grappling with our own problems and
can't re-document the wheel every time you are in a hurry and don't feel
like finding it or looking it up.

If it is documented somewhere, and can be produced by searching, there is
not an excuse for not using that readily available knowledge. If that sounds
elitist, or sounds unreasonable, I am sorry. I was shaped by my environment.
I admin that sometimes I transgress out of panic and usually quickly get
corrected, but I don't cry about it; I remember where I am, why I am here,
and solve the problem with the available information. I still haven't been
beat by a problem.

L8,
Neil