I am new here...

I am in the process of migrating a site built with FileMaker Pro to MySQL
and PHP mostly because filemaker's web capabilities are too limiting. In one
situation, we have a database of about 20,000 rows that contains two text
columns. One is the full text of a resume and the other is the full text of
a cover letter. I'm trying to decide how to enable searching from a web
form.

I've not actually tried it, but I suspect using "LIKE" will be lousy. In
Sybase it certainly would be. I found a thread on this list discussing just
this, and the suggestion was made that I create a few tables to store
keywords and map them to record ids etc. My problem with this is it makes it
impossible to do searches on a phrase. I think the users would often search
for "Microsoft Word" for instance, and it would find every candidate that
mentions "Microsoft" and "Word", but not necessarily together. But it would
be acceptable to limit it to word searches if need be (filemaker doesn't
support this now in a fast way anyway). Are there any other options than
this?

I also saw mention of a FULL-TEXT index. Is anybody using this? I think it
would be a good bet, if I can get 3.23 to build on our setup, and if it is
stable. It would certainly save me lots of trouble...

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Geoff