> on 2/1/01 1:36 PM, Gonzalo Aguilar at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > Making search engines is not a trivial thing, but this may be an
> > aproach...
>
> I appreciate all the replies. In my original post I also asked about the
> FULL TEXT index type. If I may ask again, has anyone had any
> experience with
> this? Can you comment on it's stability (it's listed as "beta" on
> the site).
> In general, how long is something in that state? I don't suppose this
> particular site will go live for another couple months (it's
> running fine in
> filemaker now). Do the FULL TEXT searches perform well? Are the results
> good?
>
> In order to get it working, I'd have to build 3.23 and I had trouble with
> that when I first tried, but I'm sure I could get it working with a little
> effort...

First of all - realize that fulltext search, as implemented in mysql, is
WEIRD.
If you intend to use it as searchengine and expect it to behave like modern
searchengines do (google, altavista) then think again, it does not. (You
want boolean search for that, or perhaps ranked boolean search, but not
something like mysql has now. - 'coming soon' to a mysql version near you.)
I have evaluated it (see my post, use archives) for searchengine use and
found that it didn't suit my needs. (since it will have a very weird order
of sorting, and by that I mean that a document with two of the words in the
query can rank below (!) one with just one of the querywords - depending on
what mysql thinks is the information-value of the word.)

As for stability - It has had its share of bugs, but I think most are fixed.

FULLTEXT indexes are about 95% of the size of the table, and they can
perform quite well or very slow, depending on what you do.