----- Original Message -----
From: "Geoff Coffey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>I'm trying to decide how to enable searching from a web
> form. <of a large text field>

Hi,

I have a similar question.
I have a table of business. I need to be able to search the title and
description.
Right now I have just your plain WHERE businessTitle LIKE '%$keyword%' ||
description LIKE '%$keyword%' .
This worked fine for small tables, but now I need to deal with 100,000+
records, and it isn't so fine.

Like Geoff I suspect that making a table of the keywords, then a table
relating the keywordID to the businessID, would be better. But then you
can't search phrases.

So I could make a table using this exercise from my computers class, which
was:

Read the file into a string
Split the string into three-word arrays
Remove stop words from the phrase (like the, a, and, so on).
Return all permutations of the remaining words (a b c, c a b, b c a, etc).
Insert each of those permutations into the word table and relational table.

My question now is, this is going to get very big very fast. Should I worry
about that at all? Or as long as I properly index it will it be okay?

Thanks!

Anna