Geoff Coffey wrote:

> I am new here...
>
> I am in the process of migrating a site built with FileMaker Pro to MySQL
> and PHP mostly because filemaker's web capabilities are too limiting. In one
> situation, we have a database of about 20,000 rows that contains two text
> columns. One is the full text of a resume and the other is the full text of
> a cover letter. I'm trying to decide how to enable searching from a web
> form.
>
> I've not actually tried it, but I suspect using "LIKE" will be lousy. In
> Sybase it certainly would be. I found a thread on this list discussing just
> this, and the suggestion was made that I create a few tables to store
> keywords and map them to record ids etc. My problem with this is it makes it
> impossible to do searches on a phrase. I think the users would often search
> for "Microsoft Word" for instance, and it would find every candidate that
> mentions "Microsoft" and "Word", but not necessarily together. But it would
> be acceptable to limit it to word searches if need be (filemaker doesn't
> support this now in a fast way anyway). Are there any other options than
> this?

This is a big software enginering topic... If you want to do the search
with LIKE,
do it, but the performance will decrease as soon as you put more and
more texts...

By the other way, using lists of words would be ok, but has some
problems, one is the
"Microsoft Word" that you say.

I think the more inexpensive (in time and money) way to implement this
is using the
LIKE clausure but making backups of the query in a "cache" so if other
user ask about
something like that the system will bring it back in a flash...

Then you can search even in the "cache" database...

Making search engines is not a trivial thing, but this may be an
aproach...

--
Gonzalo Aguilar. Madrid, España (Spain) |
Reymad Studios | [EMAIL PROTECTED]         |