Jeremy D. Zawodny ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:

> On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 11:18:49AM +0100, Gorjan Todorovski wrote:
> >
> > By support for XML I mean that u can insert XML documents directly
> > in the database, of course u need to have the table properlu craeted
> > first. Also it should be possible to retreive data in XML format
> > from some table. This is supported in Oracle 8i for eaxmple....
>
> You cannot do that with MySQL.

MySQL doesn't understannd XML (nor should it) - but inserting a document into a table
as data is trivial.  Inserting an XML document as metadata is a whole 'nother kettle
of fish - and one, IMO, for which MySQL should never be hacked up to do.  It would
make more sense to write a thin layer in C to do such a thing.

> But that's probably a philosophical difference. Many would argue that
> the database server has no business dealing with XML. That should be
> the job of the program which is putting the data into the database...

I agree completely.
--
Ed Carp, N7EKG          [EMAIL PROTECTED]           940/367-2744 cell phone
http://www.pobox.com/~erc               [EMAIL PROTECTED] - text pager

I sometimes wonder if the American people deserve to be free - they seem
so unwilling to fight to preserve the few freedoms they have left.