Mehalick, Richard RE SSI-GRAX ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:

> Some relational databases return results in XML format.

And operating systems have been written in Java and Perl.  So?  Just because you *can*
doesn't mean you *should*.

Suppose I want to translate the output to something else.  Now I'm stuck - I have to
strip off the XML.

*MUCH* cleaner to have the database return just data - then you can use something else
to wrap the data in anything you want - XML, HTML, PHP, whatever.  We use this
approach in Escapade - it outputs just data - you decide how you want it wrapped.  The
idea of decoupling data and metadata is a powerful one and has strong, compelling
arguments in its favor - ane one usually taught in first-year computer science classes.
--
Ed Carp, N7EKG          [EMAIL PROTECTED]           940/367-2744 cell phone
http://www.pobox.com/~erc               [EMAIL PROTECTED] - text pager

I sometimes wonder if the American people deserve to be free - they seem
so unwilling to fight to preserve the few freedoms they have left.