On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 05:22:31PM -0500, Michael Bacarella wrote:

> > > This is all fine and good, but why does MySQL itself have to do this?
> > >
> > We don't want Microsoft and Oracle to take over the world, do we? :)
>
> Their popularity does not imply sound design. Just that they have
> superior marketing.

SQLServer and Oracle both have superior functionality to MySQL.
I'm not enough of an expert to impune their design.  They do,
however, get the job done quite nicely.

> > > My naive understanding is that it would be effortless to write a module
> > > in perl that translates the data returned by the DBI to XML.
>
> > I'm not a perl expert so I cannot speak to that.  However, I doubt that
> > it's effortless or trivial.
>
> Why would it be easier to write said layer if it was inside the DBMS
> instead of outside?

Speed is the reason to have it in the RDBMS.

My point is that XML is coming and it's a good thing.  MySQL
is an important part of the Open Source community and I
don't want to see it trivialized or handicapped in relation
commercial RDBMS.  In the meantime, I'm willing to recommend
it to clients and wait patiently for increased functionality.

--

Regards,
Doug