From: Paul DuBois [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2001 3:34 PM
To: Thalis A. Kalfigopoulos
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Printed MySQL manual

On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 04:05:06PM -0500, Thalis A. Kalfigopoulos wrote:
> > Denis:
> >
> > I'm not sure you really want a printed MySQL manual ... the software is
> > dynamic, and is constantly being upgraded. The online manual is updated
> > frequently, and is closer to the software you may be using.
> >
> > As an alternative, I would suggest one of the fine books on MySQL. Our
> > developers each have a copy of the Paul DuBois book ("MySQL" / New
Riders)
> > as well as the O'Reilly book "MySQL & mSQL". Both are excellent learning
and
> > reference resources, and are invaluable in understanding and applying
SQL
> > syntax.
>
> I assume both are pretty good (I can verify that the 2nd one is indeed),
but still they are begining to show signs of their age. Mysql develops very
fast and they are both '99 books (IIRC). Does anyone know of any plans for
2nd editions?

> cheers,
> thalis

There are hopes for a 2nd edition of the New Riders book.  However, at
the moment that's a little premature, because I want it to cover MySQL 4.0,
and, while good progress is being made on that version, it *is* still
very much in progress.  Also, I'm very busy right now on a couple of
other MySQL-related books, which kinda takes up most (all) of my time at
the moment. :-)