On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 04:05:06PM -0500, Thalis A. Kalfigopoulos wrote:
> > Denis:
> >
> > I'm not sure you really want a printed MySQL manual ... the software is
> > dynamic, and is constantly being upgraded. The online manual is updated
> > frequently, and is closer to the software you may be using.
> >
> > As an alternative, I would suggest one of the fine books on MySQL. Our
> > developers each have a copy of the Paul DuBois book ("MySQL" / New Riders)
> > as well as the O'Reilly book "MySQL & mSQL". Both are excellent learning and
> > reference resources, and are invaluable in understanding and applying SQL
> > syntax.
>
> I assume both are pretty good (I can verify that the 2nd one is indeed), but still
>they are begining to show signs of their age. Mysql develops very fast and they are
>both '99 books (IIRC). Does anyone know of any plans for 2nd editions?
>
> cheers,
> thalis

There are hopes for a 2nd edition of the New Riders book.  However, at
the moment that's a little premature, because I want it to cover MySQL 4.0,
and, while good progress is being made on that version, it *is* still
very much in progress.  Also, I'm very busy right now on a couple of
other MySQL-related books, which kinda takes up most (all) of my time at
the moment. :-)