From: Jeremy D. Zawodny [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, 19 March 2001 11:47 a.m.
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Greg Cope
Subject: Re: MySQL 3.23.35 is released

On Sun, Mar 18, 2001 at 03:31:47PM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On 17-Mar-2001 Jeremy D. Zawodny wrote:
>
> >> Er.  Is there any way you guys can actually form a stable branch,
> >> and a development branch?  It would be nice to get a stable
> >> version of mysql with replication, and that's not going to happen
> >> with all of these new features being pumped into a supposedly
> >> "stable" branch.
> >
> > Don't enable innobase or gemini, and you'll have a stable server.
> >
> > Seriously, if you don't even compile in the new features, there's
> > little danger of them affecting you.
>
> Little danger?!

Correct.

> Look, let's approach this another way.  3.23.xx isn't stable, and
> hasn't been ever, because it _was_ a development branch, and you
> keep treating it as such, while at the same time you call it your
> stable branch.  This is wrong.

Not stable? Compared to what?

I've had a server running several versions of 3.23.xx for about 6
months now. In that time it handled over a billion queries. Yes, a
billion. The current one has been up for over two months running
3.23.29 (which was declared "gamma") without a hitch.

> Perhaps you haven't heard of such a thing as a development branch,
> and stable branch of code.  Maybe you haven't heard the term "beta"
> and "alpha" ever before.  3.23.xx is BETA, and unusable in a
> production enviroment.

I believe I (and many others) have evidence to the contrary. The MySQL
team declared it "stable" for a reason.

The development branch is 4.0.xx.

> Maybe I should say that again.  3.23.xx is BETA, and is unusable in
> a production enviroment.  You need a stable branch, and a
> development branch, and you need them ASAP so that current MySQL
> code can be made stable enough for a production enviroment.

Well, then I'll say again what I just said.

The development branch is 4.0.xx. 3.23.xx (for the right versions of
xx) is stable.

> Don't take this the wrong way.  MySQL is a great product, but any
> great software product is a piece of crap if its crashing and
> causing problems because you keep it in a consitantly beta state.

There are many, many, many folks running 3.23.xx without it constantly
crashing. Is there some widespread problem that we're unaware of?

Jeremy
--
Jeremy D. Zawodny, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Technical Yahoo - Yahoo Finance

The information contained in this email is privileged and confidential
and intended for the addressee only. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are asked to respect that confidentiality and not
disclose, copy or make use of its contents. If received in error
you are asked to destroy this email and contact the sender immediately.
Your assistance is appreciated.