On Sun, Mar 18, 2001 at 03:31:47PM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On 17-Mar-2001 Jeremy D. Zawodny wrote:
>
> >> Er.  Is there any way you guys can actually form a stable branch,
> >> and a development branch?  It would be nice to get a stable
> >> version of mysql with replication, and that's not going to happen
> >> with all of these new features being pumped into a supposedly
> >> "stable" branch.
> >
> > Don't enable innobase or gemini, and you'll have a stable server.
> >
> > Seriously, if you don't even compile in the new features, there's
> > little danger of them affecting you.
>
> Little danger?!

Correct.

> Look, let's approach this another way.  3.23.xx isn't stable, and
> hasn't been ever, because it _was_ a development branch, and you
> keep treating it as such, while at the same time you call it your
> stable branch.  This is wrong.

Not stable? Compared to what?

I've had a server running several versions of 3.23.xx for about 6
months now. In that time it handled over a billion queries. Yes, a
billion. The current one has been up for over two months running
3.23.29 (which was declared "gamma") without a hitch.

> Perhaps you haven't heard of such a thing as a development branch,
> and stable branch of code.  Maybe you haven't heard the term "beta"
> and "alpha" ever before.  3.23.xx is BETA, and unusable in a
> production enviroment.

I believe I (and many others) have evidence to the contrary. The MySQL
team declared it "stable" for a reason.

The development branch is 4.0.xx.

> Maybe I should say that again.  3.23.xx is BETA, and is unusable in
> a production enviroment.  You need a stable branch, and a
> development branch, and you need them ASAP so that current MySQL
> code can be made stable enough for a production enviroment.

Well, then I'll say again what I just said.

The development branch is 4.0.xx. 3.23.xx (for the right versions of
xx) is stable.

> Don't take this the wrong way.  MySQL is a great product, but any
> great software product is a piece of crap if its crashing and
> causing problems because you keep it in a consitantly beta state.

There are many, many, many folks running 3.23.xx without it constantly
crashing. Is there some widespread problem that we're unaware of?

Jeremy
--
Jeremy D. Zawodny, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Technical Yahoo - Yahoo Finance