hello query gurus.

we have a table TD with the following columns:

close_date
symbol
name

close_date is just a date field

there is a unique constraint on the combination of close_date and symbol.

what we want is the value for the name field corresponding to the row with the most recent close_date.

something like this:

select max(close_date), symbol, name from TD where symbol in (<list of characters>) group by symbol;

this returns the max close_date value, but the name that is returned is garbage and seems to point to the earliest row in the table.

any suggestions?

jeff

ps we're using mysql 4.1.3 with the innodb engine

-- Jeff Mathis, Ph.D. 505-955-1434 Prediction Company [EMAIL PROTECTED] 525 Camino de los Marquez, Ste 6 http://www.predict.com Santa Fe, NM 87505