we really don't want to issue two queries. this should be able to be done in one, and without using temp tables, but maybe not.

thanks for the help though

jeff
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
It takes two steps: first determine the max(closedate) for each symbol, then use those results to get the name field. You could do this with a subquery (both steps in the one statement) because you are using a version of MySQL > 4.0.0 but here is a temp table implementation that will work with just about anyone.

CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE tmpSymbols
SELECT symbol, max(close_date) as last_date
FROM TD
WHERE symbol in (<list of symbols>)
GROUP BY symbol;

SELECT ts.symbol, ts.last_date, TD.name
FROM tmpSymbols ts
INNER JOIN TD
        ON TD.symbol = ts.symbol
        AND TD.close_date = ts.last_date;

Shawn Green Database Administrator Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine