Ed Lazor wrote:
-----Original Message-----
what we want is the value for the name field corresponding to the row with the most recent close_date.

Based on that comment, I'd

select name from TD order by close_date DESC limit 1

except, we run into problems when there is a list of values for symbol in the query.

for example

select max(close_date), symbol, name from TD where symbol in

in fact this is the real problem. for a single value of symbol, we can do this query. but we want to feed in a list of values for symbol

something like this:

select max(close_date), symbol, name from TD where symbol in (<list of characters>) group by symbol;

this returns the max close_date value, but the name that is returned is garbage and seems to point to the earliest row in the table.

any suggestions?

jeff

--
Jeff Mathis, Ph.D.                      505-955-1434
Prediction Company                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]