Did the gibberish look something like this?

  Trying web-server2...
  Connected to web-server2.
  Escape character is '^]'.
  :
  4.1.4a-gamma
              P--=)TK],rFDbDid:5:di

Bad handshakeConnection closed by foreign host.

If so, you got through to the mysql server. (See the version number?)
You weren't connecting as a proper mysql client, so the last string doesn't make sense to you, and your answer didn't make sense to the mysql server, so it hung up on you. The point of the test was simply to see if you could get through to mysql on port 3306 (port is open) or not (port is blocked, probably by a firewall). It looks like you got through.

Michael

Steve Grosz wrote:

I also get the jibberish, and a connection lost error message. Is it something in MySql server that I'm not setting up correctly?