Just the fact that you GOT the gibberish meant that the server was running
and that you were able to connect. What you saw was a "Hello" packet. It's
one of the first stages to authenticating a MySQL client to a MySQL
server. It's not meant for humans.

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine

Steve Grosz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 10/15/2004 01:36:23 PM:

> I also get the jibberish, and a connection lost error message.  Is it
> something in MySql server that I'm not setting up correctly?
>
> Jochem van Dieten wrote:
> > On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:26:22 -0600, Steve Grosz wrote:
> >
> >>Ok, with leaving the : off the end, and just typing telnet web-server2
> >>3306 I get some jibberish on the screen, and a 'connection lost'
message
> >>after a few seconds.  That's coming from a machine on the same side of
> >>the firewall as the Sql server.  For the other IIS server and
Coldfusion