Kevin,
I am in the same boat that you are, I can't store anything in memory, just
have too much data.  I've got 2tb on one box right now, I did get a quote
last week for that much memory, I think it was 4 million just for the
memory.

> Also.. if you have a high cache hit rate you can effectively have memory
> tables (in theory at least).  I just haven't seen anywhere near 20k qps.

20k qps is not that hard to do with all memory tables especially if you are
only using the primary key and nothing else.  We have one quad opteron that
was pushing over 13k queries per seconds without using any memory tables at
all.  All queries were simple perfect selects only using the primary key.
But we found that in many cases we were wasting so much time, doing so many
single selects, now we are only running about 1k qps on a box, but we are
doing thousands of IN queries now.  So we get lower qps, but faster overall
performance.

Donny