Tried that. I get the following:

Oliver:~/Research/Right Whale chris$ mysql mysql -u root -p
Enter password:

Your MySQL connection id is 12 to server version: 4.1.12-standard

mysql> flush privileges;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.11 sec)

mysql> Bye
Oliver:~/Research/Right Whale chris$ mysql mysql -p
Enter password:
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'chris'@'localhost' (using
password: YES)