on 9/7/05 11:11 AM, Chris Martin at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I'd definitely try those first before forking out 2 grand.

Its not that I really have a choice, I do not have a spare mac around, so I
need new hardware no matter what.  To move OS's on a live mysql server and
then get the new one up, and not have downtime, would be a bear.

I am also running an older version of mysql, and the new version is going to
require a few hundres sites have the timestamp() functions updated, since I
am pretty sure there was a change in mysql that makes me need to do that.

I can up my budget to 3000.00 if it helps, that's pushing it though.  I
really want 1U or slightly larger, I don't want a tower as I have a rack and
they just waste space, I have 42U and a tower takes up 6 of those.  Rack
mounts are the way to go, however, apples xserve kit seems pricey compared
to the offerings from others.