$input = "This is <br> the \n input";    # value from user
$saved = "This is <br> the <br> input";  # value in database
$recovered = "This is \n the \n input";  # retrieved from db, != $input

-----Original Message-----
From: Vladimir B. Tsarkov [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sun 9/11/2005 2:15 PM
To: mysql@lists.mysql.com
Cc: mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: Re: HTML in MySQL?

Hello!

> But once you have done that, you can never recover the origional text.
> Try it on this email if you doubt it.

Why? Why not to use regular expressions?

> Use addslashes($htmlCode) and execute query normally.
> $slashedHtmlCode = addslashes($htmlCode);

The problem is not in the executing of a query.

After the execution of the script:

<?php
$string = "\n\n\n\n 1";
echo addslashes($string);
?>

we will get:

1

and no empty lines.

If you want to output the same data, that was written using a textarea field
of a form, you should use the "<br>" tag.

--
Good Luck!
Vladimir

Please, avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.