use
SELECT * INTO OUTFILE 'filename' .....

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Moran [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 09 May 2001 00:44
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Problem using "SELECT INTO DUMPFILE"

I get an error stating: "you have an error in your SQL syntax near
'dumpfile '/data/file.doc''"

The command I'm trying to execute is:
select resume from apps where appid=23 into dumpfile '/data/file.doc'
The server and client are on two different computers.

I'm using client version 3.23.36 on machine redfs
Server version 3.22.32 on machine redsql

Do I need to upgrade the server before this will be possible? I
understand that SELECT INTO DUMPFILE must put the file on the local
machine, but does that mean when running the client on redfs, I'm trying
to put the file on redsql? (just thought of this, but it would be weird
to get that particular error if that were the case) That wouldn't work,
since there is no /data directory on redsql. If that's the problem, I
suppose I'll have to establish a NFS mount.

Any pointers are welcome. Please keep me in the CC box as I'm not
currently subscribed to this list.

TIA,
Bill