Thanks for the reply, unfortunately, this produces the same error as the
command I tried. (ERROR 1064: near 'dumpfile '/data/test.doc' where
appid=23')

I can do a "INTO OUTFILE" just fine if I use this syntax:
SELECT resume FROM apps WHERE appid=23 INTO OUTFILE '/data/test.doc';

Using this:
SELECT resume FROM apps INTO OUTFILE '/data/test.doc' WHERE appid=23;
Produces an error 1064
Perhaps this is a documentation goof (although I read the docs to mean
the first form was correct, perhaps it could be clarified)
One way or the other, this doesn't solve my probem ;)

Thanks for the feedback so far.

-Bill