From: Mark Phillips [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, 22 December 2005 5:02 PM
To: MYSQL List
Subject: Need Help Connecting

I have the following setup - mysql 4.0.24 running on Debian Linux
stable.

I set up a user 'mark' with a password. When I log into my Linux box as
user
'mark', I cannot connect to mysql - I get this funny error message:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ mysql -h localhost -u mark -p
mysql: unknown option '--user           mark'
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$

If I su to another user, I can login as mark to mysql

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ mysql -h localhost -u mark -p
Enter password:
Your MySQL connection id is 128 to server version:
4.0.24_Debian-10sarge1-log

mysql>

I don't get it - why can't I use the '-u mark' option with mysql when I
am
logged into my own Linux user account?

Thanks!
--