I have been offering free database hosting for over 4 years and I've been doing it on a shoestring. My last MySQL server was a generic 1GHz system with 256MB RAM running Redhat 9. The performance was surprisingly good because the query loads were not typically high. One persistent problem was the initial connection times. On that old system if I had less than approx 10,000 separate databases then the connection times were "fast", and on the order of 1 second or so. If I had more than 10,000 databases this dramatically changed the connection times to well over 15 seconds or more.

I always attributed this connection lag to a problem with the filesystem and the large number of directories. The old server had RH9 and ext3 with no htree support which I was told could help with this problem.

I recently bought a new 2.4 GHz system with 1GB of RAM and installed Fedora 4 with ext3 and htree support. All new hardware, faster drives, more RAM and updated software. I thought I was golden! Well, I have 14,000 databases on this new system and it is as slow as the old 1GHz system. The tuning articles I've read, and the sample my-*.cnf files that ship with the tarball appear to apply to the more typical installation of a single huge database rather than thousands of individual dbs. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks,

Gary Huntress