I'm just wondering if it would be possible to use several
apache servers on different ports and using virtual servers,
that would each talk to a different instance of mysql, each
running on different unix sockets?

The main apache server listening on port 80 could then
redirect requests to the other apache virtual
server instances.

Everything after that should be plain sailing I think.

Best place to ask would probably be the apache user mailing
list on this one.

Regards

Keith

in practice they are not.