At 11:56 +0200 13/4/06, Barry wrote:
Make a real downgradeable SQL Dump (without collations n stuff) and have it saved.
Upgrade to MySQL 5.x and execute that sql dump.

Be warned that for example CONCAT behaves in a different way than in 3.x.

If you have PHP scripts with some functions in their sql queries you should check them all.

Data should be safe and beeing able to be inserted into the new SQL environment.

Thanks - sounds like good sounds advice. :-) I'll look into CONCAT.

The only thing is that, judging by past experience, the host will only give us an approximate idea of when this might happen, so I may well be presented with a fait accompli! It's likely to happen in the middle of the night, so I just hope I don't wake up one day to dozens of emails saying the whole thing's broken. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed.

--
Cheers... Chris
Highway 57 Web Development -- http://highway57.co.uk/

A censor is a man who knows more than he thinks you ought to.
   -- Laurence J. Peter