Jesse wrote:
my editor forces a hard line break at column position 16384, which, of course, corrupts the restore. I don't know if there are other text editors that will not do this,

Funny, i've never seen one that does? What system/editor are you using?

or even better, if there is a way to add a hard line break after each inserted record. I realize this will increase the size of the backup file, but to me, it's worth it.

try to use the --max_allowed_packet= option - afaik mysqldump will create lines as long as "max_allowed_packet" so if you set this to 8k you should get nice short lines

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jesse