Funny, i've never seen one that does? What system/editor are you using?

Multi-Edit version 8.0i. This is an older version of the editor. Maybe a newer one wouldn't, but for the most part, it does a very good job for me.

try to use the --max_allowed_packet= option - afaik mysqldump will create lines as long as "max_allowed_packet" so if you set this to 8k you should get nice short lines

This didn't seem to make any difference in the length of the line. Even if it did, I have a feeling it would go to the 8K column, and just chop it right there, the same way it is at the 16384th column.

Thanks,
Jesse