On 7/11/06, Brian Dunning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
My understanding is that SCSI has a faster transfer rate, for
transferring large files. A busy database needs really fast access,

Your statement is partially correct, yes, it has faster transfer
rates, but that is not only for tranfer large files, it accelerates
any access to the disk, because the queue will run faster and
demanding apps will have a better response time (that is all theory,
of course).

for making numerous fast calls all over the disk. Two different,
unrelated things.

SCSI also has a controller that process, queues and serves the data,
this would reduce CPU time and provide faster access. It also is more
fit for high demand, because of its higher spin rates, and it also
runs better in a server environment where there is high load 24/7.

I am more than willing to be called Wrong, slapped, and cast from a
bridge.

Nobody will do that, but you can jump for yourself for not googling
for "ide scsi sata pata performance". ;) I'm just kidding.

--
Daniel da Veiga
Computer Operator - RS - Brazil