Christian, can you post the output of
SHOW STATUS
and
SHOW VARIABLES
please?

This will tell us how your server is configured, and how it has been
running.  It's possible you're not set up to best utilize your CPU
power or memory.

Dan

On 8/22/06, Christian Hammers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello

I have a server with the following specs but fear that the currently
running MySQL-4.1 does not completely utilize it as the database feels
to slow for the webservers although the system load is always only at
about 10%:
        CPU: Quad Dualcore Xeon with Hyperthreading (4*2*2=16 logical cpus)
        Kernel: 2.6.17.6 (-> NPTL threading)
        RAM: 16 GB
        OS: Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 "sarge" with i386 architecture

Can it be that MySQL-4.1 does not share the load across all CPUs?
Has MySQL-5.0 any improvements for this hardware?

(I know that poor performance can result from inefficient queries and
wrong configuration settings, too, but as this would get quite complex
then I first want to rule out this cause)

thanks,

-christian-

--
Christian Hammers             WESTEND GmbH  |  Internet-Business-Provider
Technik                       CISCO Systems Partner - Authorized Reseller